Questions for Redneck to find out....
1) Is the Group Home certified by the state? If they are, what policies must they abide by? If they aren't, who (and what) is letting them be in business?
2) Is the caseworker licensed? Does he/she have experience working with someone in your son's situation? (If not: get a different caseworker immediately! You may have to 'shop' to find the right social worker. Mind you: some social workers have MSW's, some do not. Whatever the social worker's trainging, the important thing is to find someone who has the experience in this area and know's how to work the system on your son's behalf. For instance: there must be more than one agency in your area, right?)
3) Who does the caseworker answer to? It is a government agency, or faithbased?
4) What agencies can be helpful to you in your area? (You may not just end up helping your son, but all the other clients at this 'home'.)
5) Is it acceptable- in your state- for clients in group homes to be carted off to church, whether they like it or not?
Please find out the facts about what is involved here. Please do not assume that the person who says they will help you will help you. Please don't rely on one person to fix this for you and your son. You may need to marshall various forces. And it may not be easy.
(Sidebar: my best friend's younger brother is schizophrenic- and has been since he was about 17. He's now 42. I know it's no picnic. It causes immense upheaval in a family. I know dealing with the 'home' may be as difficult as managing his issues. It's a double barrel to deal with: and my heart goes out to you.)
But I pray to God that you can get our kid out of there ASAP. As a parent, I believe it is in your right to direct the 'home' to not take your son to church: no explanation required, that is, if you have legal power in the situation. Do you?
U-dog is right in this sense: one uses the sugar and butter first, but when that doesn't work, you have to have the vinegar, salt and the sharp knife at the ready when the sugar and butter has been burned away.
Strategy is everything. Gotta have one.
Be the love you seek.
Last edited by Daniel; 02-18-2008 at 12:13 AM.